Welcome to this week’s edition of FWD.
Hopefully you all caught a glimpse of the 2019 Oscars, where Netflix’s original production Roma won three academy awards. Also this week we are seeing some great new tech emerging from MWC in Barcelona, more of that below.
- Google had a key spot in the Oscars last night with a new ad promoting the Google Home. It recreated some scenes from past movies that would have changed the course of the film had Hey, Google been used; Watch here.
- Facebook wants to make a virtual assistant that is smarter than Alexa and Siri and have announced a partnership with Intel to help build this.
- Biddable ads are reportedly coming to Tik Tok in the US which will open up opportunities for key advertisers who could reach a valuable audience on this trending app. This should also mean that it will open across the globe to other markets and brands.
- 61% of internet global ad spend was spent with Google and Facebook according to the latest Global WARC results – check out the highlights here.
- Snapchat study ‘Apposphere’ shows how the apps you use impact how you feel.
- A must read from Ste Davies; ‘Decoding The Social Media Algorithms In 2019. The Ultimate Guide’
- A favourite from #MWC19 so far is the unveiling of foldable smartphones from Samsung, Huawei and Oppo. This canvas could offer some fun advertising opportunities so one to watch.
- MTV is launching a weekly quiz show commissioned by Facebook Watch called MTV Stax which gives viewers the opportunity to answer ten questions for a cash prize.
- Instagram has got some developments coming out including a new layout for IGTV, improved search capabilities and making Collections public.
- How to ace customer service: a deep dive on the luggage brand Tumi’s transformation.
- A point of view on what our future looks like with social media and how do we change our consumption of it.
- 21 facts about Instagram that all eCommerce brands should know.