What’s happened this week:
- Google X launched Calico, a life extension company , possibly their most radical moonshot yet.
- Millions of consumers updated to iOS7 this week, it has many implications for brands that communicate through apps.
What we have learned:
- 38% of Americans use or subscribe to Netflix (up 7% in 12 months) according to Nielsen.
- Grand Theft Auto V took more than USD 1bn in the three days since its release on September 17.
- Orchestra is an experimental experience to explore how multiple connected devices can work in concert.
- Shoeboxed Labs scans receipts and monitors prices to see where you could have bought it cheaper.
- OralB has created an app to gamify the tooth brushing experience and make those dull two minutes pass a little quicker.
Where to find more:
- The great shift to a semantic model of search is now under way with significant implications for brands that need to organize data in more sophisticated ways.
- How Facebook is developing deep learning to gain even greater insight from the newsfeed data mass.
- There is a continuum between traditional banners and native advertising, via the tourist, resident and citizen models of placement.